February 14, 2007

Sock Love

I read somewhere once that after you get married you should still close the bathroom door when you pee. (Pooping and closed doors goes unsaid.) Why? What purpose does closing the door serve anymore? This is the same man who sees all my bodily flaws when I get out of the shower. I wondered. At the risk of giving you TMI, the Hubby and I pee with the door open. I asked him once if it bother him. He was completely indifferent. Actually, I think his exact response was to shrug his shoulders and gave me a weird look as he replied, "No." It also happens that when you pee with doors closed in our house Nigel thinks that you are abandoning him and alternates howling pitifully with pawing at the doorknob while mewing accusations of rejection. It's completely counterproductive to peeing.

Back to the point. The socks on two circular needles method (by Cat Bordhi) has you rotate the stitches from a front facing sock (the top of the sock is on one needle and the bottom on the other) after knitting the heel flap to a profile sock (the top of the sock is split on to two needles along with the bottom). It has me wondering the same Why? What purpose does it serve other than to make picking up the gussett easier? similar the article about peeing and marriage. Okay, so it's not a perfect metaphor, but it still has me wondering why the standing rule.

It seems to me that a sock like Hedera or Pomatomus would be much more simply knitted front facing, than profile facing. Plus, I have two seams from each of my joins that would be placed on either side of my foot, rather than as they are now. Which is directly down the middle of the top of my sock driving me nuts. There is also one on the bottom, which doesn't bother me as much. Imagine that! Therefore, I have rebelled and just like I leave the door open when I pee, I am knitting this sock front facing! We will see if this works on 'real' socks.

My legs are really not that pale or fat.
It's the camera angle...I swear.

In addition, I don't know if I mentioned it yesterday, but the yarn I'm trying out my sock knitting on is 100% acrylic. It's so old I can't even find a label. I do know, however, that I have a ton of it, because I bought two HUGE skeins at Wal-mart for PoPo's tragic Boss Tweed. In a completely unrelated, but rather interesting fact I am referencing a post that is only hours away from being a year ago to the date!

1 comment:

Abigail said...

When I knit my socks Magic loop (similar to two circs, but with one) I don't rotate either,
I just see it as a big PITA and don't bother.

None of my socks have exploded yet. I think you are safe ;)