February 11, 2006

Thursday

I had made a great application, which included a tri-fold colored pamphlet on my skills and entitled Why Young Harris College Should Hire Me instead of a cover letter, and an example of a flyer for the LEAP program would-be employer was over. I had an inside scoop from a friend of would-be employer that Interviewer was into those kinds of things. Monday, I went in to the college for an interview. She, the interviewer and would-be boss, told me that she had tons of applicants and only interviewed three individuals. So I felt lucky and I knew that above described package had gotten me the interview. It was the quickest interview I've ever had. It lasted no more than 20 minutes, and I did not do very much talking. This would seem to be "bad" interview, except that I knew the boss from working at said institution over the summer as a lackey, so she knew about my personality and that was not a problem.

Still I was worried and with a right.

I got the call Thursday. The you're-not-the-one call. This is the third time I've been turned down by this institution, for the exact same reason. I have too much education. Have they all asked me why I would want the job, when I have so much education I could do more with? Yes. Have I replied that I am allergic to my degree? Yes, as it turns out, my allergies will not sustain me working with cute fuzzy little poultry for more than say ten hours a week. Have they all told me that I have a bright future? Yes.
You see the problem is that this institution is the only place in the area that has a great salary and benefits package. All the other jobs pay okay, but they are hourly jobs and not benefits. (Hell, right now I have to nag my boss to take out taxes which he does not. So now I have to figure out how to file quarterly.) And it is the only place in the area where one would get to deal with educated, reasonable people on a regular basis instead of the red-necks I work with who don't understand that the bank charges fees in addition to giving out loans. Also, none of my would-be employers seem to realize that when you apply for a job, it means that you actually like to work there and do the job you'd applied for. Now, I realize that this seems to be a radical idea. Therefore, I vow to plainly state to the next interview with this particular college that I would like to work there. I would like to have a salary paying job. I would love to have benefits. I would love it if you hired me. Maybe, just maybe, then the interviewer would notice that I am desperate for the job he/she is offering.

Think it will work?

No comments: