January 7, 2008

Goodbye Roswell, Hello Ottery St. Catchpole

I can not even begin to tell you how thankful I am to have these socks off the needles. I know as member of SKA (Sock Knitters Anonymous. I am not making this up for those of you who are not on Ravelry; I really am a member.) that I swore an oath not to ever say aloud anything bad about knitting socks (totally making that up), but these socks took freaking forever! They took twice as long as regular socks and I even have the extra motivation of finishing them up so that I could use the needles for a pair of socks for me.

His feet might be classified as monstrous, but thankfully they are offset by a gorgeous pair of legs. I promised you pictures of his legs and I didn't get them. I am totally jealous of his skinny ankles as compared to my cankles. Actually, I adore all of the Hubby's legs, but the Hubby didn't deem that enough to publish them to the interwebs. So, you only get the tantalizing first bits of leg.


This is the second FO for the Hubby and let me tell you--He's not getting anymore socks for quite some time. The skinny ankles I adore are precursed by huge round heels. I had to rip the first time because of this body type. I made the ankles fit, but the heels won't get past the leg. This may have more to do with the nature of fair isle being so static more than the actual sock.

STATS
Pattern: BMP by Aija Goto in Knitty Spring 07; or the oops! socks.
Yarn: Shitpicks Bare Essentials in natural, dyed black and green by myself.
Needles: Size 2 AddiTURBO (how appropriate)
Mods: For starters, I knit these toe up and fudged width to fit the Hubby's foot and the heels better. These socks are actually different sizes! Oops! He wanted the high score to read '9999,' so that is changed too. I didn't knit the corrugated rib up top, because these needed more staying power for the ill-fitting leg. Instead, there is a 96 stitch 1x1 twisted rib, which wasn't reduced either. oops. All in all you could not pay me a million dollars to reknit these problematic socks.

So now I am focusing on his Weasley sweater, which is looking much better than these guys. And possible the hearts and stars blankie, which is almost half through the last available skein...or finally those embossed leaves socks I've been drooling over for the past 3 months...

5 comments:

Margo said...

I think they look great! Must admit that they were on my list for an item to make my hubby for his birthday.... and you've done a fair job towards putting me off :-|

The Chickengoddess said...

I know they were a pain to knit, but they look awesome! As for me, I really still want to make some. But then I have already established that I like pain.

TURBOchic said...

I feel obligated to say that the fault does not lie with the directions. And it was very nostalgic to knit them up. It's just that they were a bad combo with my husband's feet. It's the fit I dislike, not the pattern, and after all that effort with knitting in fair isle I'd really like to be proud of the outcome.

J.P. said...

Ooh.. those look nice! Such cute socks..

turtlegirl76 said...

They turned out fabulous! Did you do the duplicate stitch shooter?