December 19, 2007

Knitting Bag Whore

I use the divide and conquer method for storage. My yarns are all stored in their one gallon ziplock plastic baggies. My circular needles are labeled and stored in sandwich sized ziplock baggies (with the appropriate size label). The hopefully-soon-to-be-completed-Weasley-Sweater lives in a green drawstring backpack, while it's sleeves live in my knitting bag. My about town knitting bag is a black mesh shoulder bag, with plastic baggies carefully dividing each project. You could say that I am anal retentive about things touching, or you could say that I heart bags. I am sticking with the latter.

Stacey, of course, totally trumps my love of bags. I don't think I have reached this level yet, but a girl can dare to dream, can't she? Anywho, she when showed off her Piddleloop sock totes in a tote nonetheless, it struck a cord with me.

Now I want this:
I can not justify the $50 dollars for the set, but it is oh-so-cute. So when I realized that the Hubby had not spent his allotted amount on me for Christmas, I quickly ran to my keyboard to remedy the problem and searched Etsy for an appropriate substitute. (Piddleloop is on holiday-not that I can blame them.) I found this:


...which I quickly confiscated. It will not be the last. I can guaranteez it.

This bag satisfies all my knitting tote requirements. It's pretty. It's pink, but not overly so. It has a pink danglely bead for easy to zip closure. It was cheap. Probably due to the fact it has no lining, but is made of sturdy seeming canvas-y type material. It was like $18.50 including shipping, so I am a-okay with no lining. (Edited: the seller says in the description says it has interfacing, but I can't see it in the picture and this cute item is not in my hands yet. It is being shipped.)

As an added bonus, it has no pockets. Most people would consider this a disadvantage. I am not most people. Pockets are not for me. I can't not begin to tell you how I hate bags with tons of pockets. Pockets are not cool like hamster pouches. They do no expand to an infinite space when required and shrink back into nothingness when emptied. Pockets are saggy annoyances which obscure the view of small pointy items that like to stab you in tender places when you reach your hand into your bag. Pockets are protruding fabric clumps which are never really the size you need for your stuff, instead they taunt you with being almost right. Almost wide enough. Almost tall enough. Too short. Too narrow. Too bad. This knitting bag has no pockets and I love it for it's lack of such.

I like to put little caches (i.e. smaller bags for holding stuff) inside the larger bag which I can remove on a whim and rummage through should the need arise. So does the avoidance of pockets really surprise you? If so, I suggest to reread the first paragraph of this post again. If not then you may understand me when I say: Perhaps this is the bag I require to tote around my Bayerische Sock and get it finished. Perhaps I need another one to tote around the Hubby's BMP sock...and my Embossed Leaves sock after that...perhaps it needs to have cute animicules on it...

p.s. Turtlegirl, I dare you to beat the number of links I have in this post. Besides being a bag whore, I am a hyperlink whore.

2 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Dude that's only 5. I had that many in a sentence once I swear.

Anonymous said...

Cute bag. I'm afraid I'd start collecting them and filling them up with WIPs just to have a cute display of WIPs and lord knows, I don't need any more WIPs!