August 29, 2007

We joined Netflix

...so my blogging has been lacking. You may not know that we do not own cable tv, nor local channels, though we do own a tv (or two) , a dvd player and we live in the sticks. Hello, Season 2 of House; you are a wonderful thing. I think that I may love you Netflix...and Hugh Laurie. Oh, and Dr. Chase has beautiful hair and a lurvely accent.

It's been hard to get anything other than sitting on my bum done, but I have found some time to knit (at work when I'm away from the tv). Two of these things are recycled FOs, and one of these things is my current work progress. Can you guess what it is? I'll give you a hint. It's still missing parts.
It's almost midnight and the bathroom has the most light.


And I made a cop out OLS dinner of Vegetarian Enchiladas. I am super lazy, so this entire meal only used locally grown banana peppers-i.e. peppers brought to me directly by my co-worker.


It's my not-so-blogging-secret to get my Hubby to eat and enjoy one less meal with meat a week. We're not vegetarians, and we do enjoy our animal products. It just that the Hubby may enjoy it a little to much. It's not healthy to poop meat is it? I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker recipe gifted to me just prior to my wedding by my mother, who gave up cooking dinner when I was in high school and apparent expected my to immediately serve my husband dinner at 5pm upon my impending D-day...But I digress.

This recipe could certainly be made using only local foods for the hardcore even the tortillas and some of the dried herbs.* However, I am not hardcore. I am lazy, poor and the depressed owner of a tried and true brown thumb.

Vegetarian Enchiladas
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese (8oz)
1 cup Cheddar cheese (4oz)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1 medium onion chopped (1/2 cup)
1 green bell pepper chopped(1/2 cup)
2 green chiles chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
2/3 cup water
1/4 t ground black pepper
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 t oregano
1/4 t cumin
1 clove garlic chopped
at least 8 tortillas

Mix cheeses, sour cream, parsley, peppers and onions. Set aside.

Heat remaining ingredients except tortillas, until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Dip tortillas in sauce coating all sides. Scoop filling into tortillas; roll up and place seam side down in a large baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garish with additional cheeses, sour cream and chopped onion if desired.

As you can see this recipe is easy deviated from and stays delicious. I used regular taco shells instead of tortillas, premixed shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese coated with taco seasoning, banana peppers instead of chiles, 1 cup of bell peppers instead of 1/2 cup, dried parsley instead of fresh and I completely forgot about the oregano. It was still yummy!

*p.s. Drying your own herbs would be a wonderful way to stock up for winter and super easy.

No comments: