June 19, 2007

One Local Summer (challenge)

Sometimes there are just no good ways to tell the news. Other times there are too many ways to spread the news. I am thankfully stuck with the latter problem. So for several reasons, I have joined up Liz and friends for her One Local Summer challenge.

It might have been all the environmentally friendly lessons my mother impressed upon me at a young age. Perhaps the fact that I received a degrees (or two) in agriculture and moved to a very rural area. Maybe my more recent adventures in knitting has awoken the very rewarding do-it-yourself experiences that have seem to spread into other hobbies and chores in my life. Possibly just reading Pocket farm on a regular basis and vicariously enjoying all the hard work their life had an effect on me. Or it just might be the continuous accumulation of all these factors that lead me to my decision.

I am sure excited to start this life changing experience, because of just that-I am hoping that it will change not only the food I eat, but the community I'm involved in. I am already enjoying the choice of putting my money directly back into my local economy. I am thrilled to no end to explore the depths (or not-so-depths) of my rural mountain community. And I am already feeling like I am reducing my footprint on the Earth.

And although, I have no idea how to go about this other than searching the web, making tons of phone calls to possible sources, asking the locals around town and driving to hopeful locals. I am sure never the less that I can find one source-MY OWN BACKYARD GARDEN! My tomatoes and cukes are sure to be the start of a yummy dinner. A meal with at least one local ingredient is sure to grown into a meal with two local ingredients, and a meal with two local ingredients is sure to grow into three...Get the picture?

I am excited to start this life changing experience, because of just that-I am hoping that it will change not only the food I eat, but the community I'm involved in. I am already enjoying the choice of putting my money directly back into my local economy. I am thrilled to no end to explore the depths (or not-so-depths) of my rural mountain community. And I am already feeling like I am reducing my footprint on the Earth.

Whatever the reason be, I know that through small steps I will eventually change the way my husband and I live. Maybe I won't go as far as this, but I have no problem with a little more of this:


Curious yet? Go check it out! You can even follow along with everyone's progress at flickr.

No comments: