November 16, 2006

My Father's Daughter

Recently, I was reading JenLa's blog and I discovered Jen was going to be up my way soon. (I live fifteen minutes from the John c. Campbell Folk School.) I wasn't able to attend the other knit bloggers at SAFF, because I am a weenie and there was yucky weather involved. So, I was really excited about meeting her and then I remembered I had planned a dinner to celebrate Thanksgiving/Christmas/House warming that weekend. DOH!

This is only slightly related to the real point of this post...

I took last Friday off from work, or rather I had already maxed out the amount of hours I am allowed to work in a week, and I decided to go shopping. I made my first stop the yarn shop I pass by every time I take a trip to Wal-mart. I needed some needles for my most recent project as my 29" size fives have disappeared. Like I really needed an excuse to look in....Anyway, the Yarn Circle was really cute and even had some bags of sheep wool that was basically just sheared off the sheep and bagged. It still needed to be carded, washed, spun, etc. They had several types of wheels and spindles and such. I'm not a spinner, but I think spinners would really love this store. The staff was really nice too, not at all like the new-shop-in-town-that-I-will-never-visit-ever-again.

Moving right along, while I was eating breakfast this morning staring at the receipt (because my house is wreck and things just tend to land on my kitchen table), when I noticed the website for the shop. I checked it out and found, some information about the owners. At first the list seems pretty normal-knitters, spinners, fiber arts, the occasional sheep farmer, but scroll to the bottom of the page. HAHAHA! This man picks yarn and forging for hobbies. HA!

The insane part is my father's most recent hobby is building a forge for armor smithing in the middle of my parents suburb of Atlanta backyard. This is addition to his building his own flint lock rifle. And by building I mean, carving the wood for the stock from scratch kinda building. He's also into the looming process for colonial reenactment. He doesn't loom or knit, but enjoys learning about the process. He then passed the enjoyment for arcane skill sets to myself as evidenced by my blog. Not a big deal in itself, but the fact that I sent him three separate emails one about the yarn circle shop owners, one about the blacksmithing classes at the folk school, and one telling him that I am expecting candle holders or fire place sets out from any classes he takes while trying to convince him that I live close enough by for him to visit and take classes all at once.

It leaves no room to doubt that I am my father's daughter and it tickles me so.

No comments: