November 2, 2010

Leftovers

What do you do with yarn leftovers?  Particularly sock yarn.

I'm not one for stripey leftover sweaters or vests.  Or complimentary socks.  Or  brightly colored hats.  Or felted objects--Not that they don't look pretty, because I've seen evidence to the contrary.  It's just that I don't have quite that much belief in my ability to make an attractive decision.  I'd rather just leave that up to the pattern when it comes to color work.  Also I hate felting.  Don't get me wrong.  It looks like a ton of fun, but I own two cats and I try to be realistic about the longevity of a felted item in my house.  About 2 seconds.  Make that zero, because I just inhaled cat fur.

So, I figure the best solution is the simplest.  Since I don't know exactly how much I have or will have, but I do know that I continue to buy sock yarn, knit socks and have remenants perhaps it'd be best to make something modular like squares!

It's a pinwheel of color.  It makes me uber happy.
 I thought perhaps that I wouldn't purchase any yarn for this blanket ,but unfortunately the Miss Babs booth at SAFF was my undoing.  She had mini skeins Toes! of "yummy 2-ply."

Squash Blossom, you are fabulously yellow.
French Marigold, you are the perfect bright between red and orange.

I justified my purchases with the thought that there are some colors I just don't want on my feet, ergo so smaller skeins are necessary for a rainbow blanket.  In the long run I'm saving money.  (Oh Sophie Kinsella, I love to hate you.)

So what about you?  Do you use sock leftovers insulate your house?  As packing material for shipping gifts?  Clipped into tiny bits for birds to build nests with?

1 comment:

turtlegirl76 said...

I'm planning on making squares for a blanket with mine too. I dunno when I'll ever get it started but that's what I'm telling myself I'm saving the leftovers for.